Friday, October 2, 2009

Using Wikis in Classrooms and Online Courses

I am teaching a course for the first time, and so using a wiki to develop class notes sounds like a terrific idea. I could post my outlines, and use some of the techniques described in Richard Buckland's presentation. So far I have developed a very preliminary wiki that includes some introductory material and overviews. It could also be a way to save on paper and handouts, posting material to a wiki instead of handing out material. I can see how the wiki could be developed into a very current text book of information, which I see as a big advantage as all the printed text books I am reviewing are dated to some degree.

I am also looking for ways to have the students share their writing and reflections with each other. I had initially thought that a class blog would be a good tool, but perhaps a wiki may work better. Finally, the class I am teaching involves preparing students to deal with difficult populations. Second hand trauma and burn out are real risks. I will consider using private wikis for journaling, giving students reflective questions to write on each week. This may allow for more insight, and an ability for me to communicate with more of my students around their career preparation and self care.

http://yccasemanagement.wikispaces.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment