Saturday, September 19, 2009

Blogs in Education

1) How can you see blogs being used in a F2F class as well as an online course?
In lifelong learning, we frequently run out of time during face to face classes to finish discussions. Blogs could be a very helpful way to continue discussions. In addition, hearing can be a significant barrier to some of our participants, including blogging as part of discussion could help to include those that have trouble participating in live discussion due to hearing issues.

2) What are the benefits of using a blog over another medium?
I really frankly can't say yet, I don't have enough experience with other online medium. I use on line chats, which with delays and timing out, can be very frustrating, and the conversations don't always flow very well. Blogs at least allow for more coherent, thoughtful discussion.

3) What are the challenges of using a blog in education?
For my particular circumstances, computer literacy, fear about privacy, even access to computers, are among the barriers to using blogs within lifelong learning

3 comments:

  1. Do you think our older adult learners are willing to learn to be computer literate, or that they feel more like "I've lived this long with out it..I don;t need it now?" My father texts, thinks its fun; My mom doesn't want to deal with it.....
    Also, could you please tell me how you set up your blog to print part of your article and a 'read more' link? I like that and haven't figured it out yet. Thanks-Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen MANY seniors who really want to learn, but who struggle to find a format/class that can help them step by step (even classes led by other computer literate seniors can go too fast, assume to much, and be very frustrating.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia,

    Can you provide me with info on entertainment trips to PHX or entertainment events on the Prescott campus?

    Thanks,



    Dick Rosage, rosage4@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete